Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Before I rant about politics...a lot of thanks are due...

Hey everybody...

I'd like to take this chance to express some thanks to some people who helped me get on this "blogosphere" I'd been so reluctant to get on for a while. Let's face it...when you've been formally educated in a medium that's been changing so much in recent years, you're less likely to adapt unless you get some encouragement. I'll mention some people by name as to who helped me get to this point, but first, let me tell you a little about me and how I got here.

I have a degree in radio and broadcast journalism from Columbia College in Chicago, Illinois, and I've been trying like mad to get into the radio broadcasting world on a full-time basis since graduation. I've worked at several local radio stations here in the area, ranging from local affiliates of national networks, to independent stations. I'd like to say being here in Chicago that the radio world is on stable ground, but the radio world's been a-changin' a lot...even while I was in school. For example...analog equipment gave way to digital equipment, reel-to-reel machines gave way to computer software, and the local radio scene is giving way more and more to a less personal, "nationally-syndicated radio world." Even as I write this, many local, and somewhat iconic figures in local radio here are becoming more of a rarity instead of the standard because of stations being run by corporate interests with no local ties. Just a few days ago, WGN Radio's "The Girlfriends", Kathy O'Malley and Judy Markey, and WNUA's morning host, jazz legend Ramsey Lewis, were each given their walking papers. O'Malley and Markey were a duo who entertained listeners on WGN Radio for 20 years, while Lewis loses his local morning show and nationally-syndicated gig as his former station is now a Spanish-pop music station. In short...just when you thought the market couldn't change, it does. And just when you get used to the changes, something else changes...and so on, and so on, and so on.

So with all that, along with counsel and encouragement from my wife and friends, I've decided to enter the "wave the future", and go into podcasting. Many people I've listened to and listen to now are into podcasting, and are doing quite well. I'd like to be a part of that group, so I'm starting now, and I'd like for you to come along for the ride.

My first "thank you" goes to my wife, Kendra, for first encouraging me to get into podcasting. Like I said before, I was reluctant, but her perseverance helped change my mind. In fact, she set up this blog site for me so I can write about topics I'll record podcasts about. She also studied radio in college, so she's very aware of what's been going on in the radio world as I am.

Another "thank you" goes to my former pastor, Dr. Ray Pritchard. Dr. Pritchard, or "Ray" as he likes to be addressed as, podcasts on his website, and right before I decided to do this, I dropped him a note to ask his opinion. He was more than supportive of the idea, saying current surveys indicate today's youth aren't into radio as prior generations were. Kids today are more into iPods , mp3 players, and other technology that was considered "science fiction" a generation ago. To summarize his view, if I am to reach out to people, I need to use technology that people are using today. Radio is great, but it's becoming somewhat of a dinosaur. Soon, it may end up being as extinct as the Tyrannasaurous Rex.

My final "thank yous" go to many people in the broadcasting industry here in Chicago that also encouraged me to try podcasting. Many local radio and TV personalities have their own websites, or at least Facebook and MySpace pages, and they link podcasts and other audio/video clips to their media. They're only doing what's considered the smart thing to do in this day and age of electronic media...put their product out in a way as many people as possible can access. Thanks again for your influence...you each have a part in the success of my broadcasting career thus far, and you'll each have a part in what happens in the future.

And with that...it's time to begin a new journey. It's time to begin taking my first step in a "1,000 mile journey" of new horizons in media. I'm not doing anything groundbreaking, but I'd like to believe I'll be doing something that will entertain, inform, and inspire you. Some of what I write and say will resonate with you fully...others will make you madder than you've ever been. I can't please everybody, so I won't even try. All I can be is myself, and you'll get to know more about me in future blog posts and podcasts.

Buckle up...place your trays in the upright positions...and prepare for takeoff.





Share/Bookmark